Masuga Design needs a Digital Project Manager to manage our client projects and help run the day-to-day operations to take our web development company to the next level.
Your primary role is to ensure our team stays on top of our ever-growing list of projects and tasks through efficient project management and strong communication.
You'll carefully listen to client requests, gather requirements, parse those into actionable tasks, and delegate to the right team member(s). You'll then lead, manage, and hold the team accountable for executing the work at their highest level and in a timely fashion.
To be really successful in this position, you should have an understanding of web design and development. And if you're familiar with content management systems (esp. Craft CMS), even better!
This can be a local (Grand Rapids, MI) or remote position (note that we're fully distributed these days!), and we'll consider part-time and full-time candidates with daytime availability.
We think a mid-level to senior candidates (3-5 years experience or more) may be a great fit.
Areas of Focus
The digital project manager role requires someone that can focus on
the details, while being aware of the bigger picture. You will help manage large and small projects, as well as ongoing support for time and materials clients.
Managing and delivering projects
- Help scope, estimate, schedule, and price new and existing project work
- Be familiar with multiple methodologies like Waterfall, Agile, Hybrid, Kanban and can refine a workflow that fits our projects
- Keep projects moving and on time by planning, delegating/assigning tasks, and ensuring tasks get completed on time and on budget
- Be the point of contact for projects, in regular contact with internal and external partners
- Set realistic expectations, both internally and with clients
- Set up projects and milestones in our project management systems; rule the process
- Listen actively during client and prospect calls to determine what they're asking for and how we can best help them. Gather those requirements!
- Ensure the team's time is being well utilized, and no one is burning out...or not busy enough
- Be on top of projects and know the status of schedules, key milestones, budgets, resourcing etc. at all times.
- Continually evaluate the time and financial impact of changes and communicate to clients as appropriate.
- Identify and call out scope creep and provide a solid risk plan with contingencies to protect project schedules, priorities, project teams, and margins.
- Bill and invoice for projects
- Track project health and financial targets to help make sure we’re on track
- Run team retros so we can learn and improve during every project
Building relationships - with clients & team
- Help nurture our important client relationships by building good rapport and paying attention to the little details that matter (Quick! What client once opened a champagne bottle with a sword?)
- Maintain regular client communication to lead them through their projects
- Be consistent with clients so they can expect to rely on you. Under promise so we can over-deliver.
- Regular team communication outside of project tasks. What do our team members need to do their best, most efficient work?
Being passionate about "us" and striving to be better
- Contribute to "being smart in public" by writing blog posts and sharing knowledge
- Pay attention to trends and technology in our space. Is there a better tool? Is there a better process?
- Take an interest in relevant blogs, webinars, training, communities, and communicating with peers
- Ensure the work we deliver is done to the highest standards
- Be a positive leader–even when faced with difficulties. If a tool or a process is bad/wrong, say so but pitch a solution!
We’re looking for a certain kind of person to join us. As a small team, we understand how critically important a cultural fit is.
- You have meticulous attention to detail.
- You have strong communication skills–written, spoken, and interpersonal.
- You are comfortable leading and managing others.
- You are motivated, resourceful, and self-directing.
- You exhibit the ability to research and solve problems independently.
- You have the ability and desire to learn.
- You’re a team player.
We'll likely want to know these things about you as well:
- Do you have experience managing project budgets of $30K or more?
- Do you have experience managing and working with remote production teams?
- Do you have experience running "discovery" phases of projects?
- Are you able to communicate well with a remote team using tools like Slack and Zoom?
- Are you able to manage time well and track time and materials accurately?
- Are you comfortable saying "no" and standing your ground?
- Do you have experience running website/web app projects?
- Do you devote time to staying up to date on the latest trends and technologies within your discipline?
- Have you worked remotely before? (probably so, if you made it through 2020!)
- Do you live in the United States?
About Masuga Design
Masuga Design is a Grand Rapids, MI based web development agency founded in 2006 that specializes in well designed, custom content managed sites.
We've served clients nationwide with custom CMS solutions for 16 years. We’ve developed projects for the likes of Google, Adobe, FOX Networks, NFL Networks, Image Comics, Scripps Networks, A+E, Toys’R’Us, Pep Boys, World Market and more.
With intentional web development and strategy, we create custom content-managed websites that help marketing teams streamline processes and deliver their messages with ease, creating value for their organizations. We also work with select agencies to support them with the development side of their web projects.
Our expertise is centered around Craft CMS, but we use other tools like Laravel and Vue as well.
- Health Insurance
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Paid holiday and vacation time
- Remote work
- Flexible scheduling
If this position motivates you and you want to play a vital role in shaping and growing a small and dynamic company, we want to hear from you.
Before contacting us, consider the following:
- No "rock stars" or "ninjas" please.
- Background experience in web or digital is a major factor that we will consider.
- We need someone with previous project management experience. Bring a war story.
Send an introductory email to email@example.com with this information:
- Background on your experience
- Links to work, a portfolio, or anything you'd like to share
- Your location
- Tell us about yourself. Who are you when you're not working? What makes you tick?
We’ll get back with qualified applicants as soon as possible. Thanks for your interest!